Sunday, January 24, 2010

Can I issue subpoenas as my own counsel in a civil case with my HOA?

I am being sued by my negligent HOA. I cannot afford an attorney so I will be representing myself in court. There are several people I want to subpoena as witnesses in my case. Can I, as a ';lay'; person issue subpoenas and if not, how do I go about getting them issued since I am my own counsel?Can I issue subpoenas as my own counsel in a civil case with my HOA?
Yes, you can subpoena individuals.





Here is the catch: You have to know how to fill out and file the subpoena request and the Sheriff does charge a fee for it. The court will not assist you.





You'll have to pay that up front.





PS: Be very careful about who you subpoena and for what. A person can sue you and collect for their lost day from work if you subpoena them for a frivolous case or something that they legally cannot testify to.Can I issue subpoenas as my own counsel in a civil case with my HOA?
You may have to hire a private process server.

No comments:

Post a Comment