Sunday, January 24, 2010

Does anyone know what the standard judgment in NY is for a civil case?

I signed an agreement in court to pay $40 per month to pay off approx.$2500. I lost my job and was unable to pay it for 3 months. I started working again recently and the law firm put a restraing order on my account. I didn't know that they could do that but they told me that that's the ';standard judgment';.





Is there a website I can go to or maybe someone who has some knowledge as to what this is.Does anyone know what the standard judgment in NY is for a civil case?
Its the equivalent of an Attachment of Earnings Order in the UK. Basically, the judgement creditor is entitled to recoup from the judgement Debtor (you) the sums owed under the judgement from the income your receive.





It's a common means of enforcing a judgement, but there's no such thing as a 'standard judgement' in a civil claim in NY (or anywhere else, come to think of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment