Sunday, January 24, 2010

How to reopen a civil case I won in 1980?

I won a civil case against the unemployment office of cleveland oho and was unaware I had won the decision to give me unemployment payments due from Veterans Hospital where I worked and was fired unjustly. I left there in 1979 and went to work at the US Postal Service and happened to look up civil case in the county records and found this judgement. What can I do?How to reopen a civil case I won in 1980?
Too late.





Usually you have a year or less to present any claim.





After more than 20 years you were declared a ';no show'; long time ago.





You can't re-open the case becasue you already ';won';; your case was seen by the court and they ruled in your favor.





So it's not their fault that you never showed up. They are not going to start all over again because you forgot about it.How to reopen a civil case I won in 1980?
When a party is awarded a judgment in a civil lawsuit, there are post-judgment remedies available until the judgment becomes dormant. In Texas, a judgment becomes dormant ten years from the date of the judgment or, if a writ of execution was issued during the ten year period, ten years from the date of issuance of that writ.





Just winning a lawsuit is not as important as following up timely. It appears that you waited far too long to take any effective action.





To be sure, you may consult your attorney, though not necessarily the attorney who may not have followed up after the judgment.
You need to find out if it was ever served, and If it was, who got it,and why it was not served on you then you would have a clear case to get your money, plus interest. I would check to see who if any money was paid on it and then contact the State of Ohio and also a Attorney.

No comments:

Post a Comment