Friday, January 22, 2010

How can I be called for a pre-trial conference in a civil case if I have already settled with the defendant?

My business was the defendant in a civil case. Prior to the hearing date we settled with the plaintiff, who in turn agreed to drop the suit. I had him sign an agreement stating he was satisfied with the settlement and would drop the case.How can I be called for a pre-trial conference in a civil case if I have already settled with the defendant?
Unless he notifies the court %26amp; files a written dismissal or notice of settlement, its schedules move forward. Either show up or get him to file a written dismissal.How can I be called for a pre-trial conference in a civil case if I have already settled with the defendant?
There is something being questioned...best to show up promptly and prepared.
That means he got himself a lawyer and the lawyer told him he could get some more money somehow. Get those papers he signed looked at by your lawyer and be ready for the hearing. Good luck.
I'm not 100% sure,but the pre-trial conference might be for the purpose of establishing the settlement,and officially ending the case.
You're just still on someone's mailing list, one of the other parties or the Court's. Make sure there is a Dismissal filed with the Court explicitly for you, along with your Settlement Agreement.
  • blue eyeshadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment