Friday, May 14, 2010

I have two lawyers for a civil case and each wants to take 20% each and have me pay court fees?

I do not want to pay court fees, is this normal?I have two lawyers for a civil case and each wants to take 20% each and have me pay court fees?
The court fees? Yes, that's normal. Its your case, so why should the attorneys pay it? That'd be like your boss paying the gas for you to get to work in the morning.





As far as each taking 20%, that's a bit high. Normal contingency cases go at about 1/3 through trial, and a bit more if it has to be appealed.





Why do you have 2 attorneys? Did one recommend getting the other? If that's the case, they should be splitting the 20% - not each getting a separate 20%.I have two lawyers for a civil case and each wants to take 20% each and have me pay court fees?
I would also check with the local bar association and see if it is ethical for 40% of your settlement and court fees should come out of your cut.
Why not shop for other lawyers.
I hope you win, and if so, try to have the other party pay them

No comments:

Post a Comment